Last week I went to an interesting public garden which lies near Vancouver, Canada. The people who come to visit the garden always fall in love with it. For most of them the day is a day which they will never forget.
The Parson family, who own the garden, like gardening very much. The father, whose name is John, used to work in a local factory which was near their house. When the factory, which had been in the area for thirty years, was closed down, the father had to find some other job. However, John, whose parents had both been gardeners, knew a lot about gardening, so he decided to buy the land which was on sale around the factory. John's sons, who were fourteen and fifteen at the time, helped their father to build the garden. It took them all summer to finish the main garden, which was centred around a small pond. The factory owner, whose wife liked the idea of a garden around the factory, decided to give some money to the Parson family so that they could finish the work more quickly.
1. joka sijaitsee lähellä Vancouveria
2. rakastuvat siihen
3. jota he eivät koskaan unohda
4. jotka omistavat puutarhan
5. työskenteli aikaisemmin paikallisessa tehtaassa
6. joka oli ollut alueella kolmekymmentä vuotta
7. täytyi löytää joku toinen työ
8. jonka vanhemmat olivat molemmat olleet puutarhureita
9. joka oli myynnissä
10. sillä hetkellä
11. se vei heiltä koko kesän
12. jotta he voisivat saada työn loppuun nopeammin
The people who lived in the village quickly realised that the garden could become something big. It could grow into a place which was not only beautiful but also important for the local economy because it might offer jobs for those men and women who had been working in the factory.
John, whose wife had also started working for the garden project, felt the same. In the end he came up with an idea which would eventually inject new life into the village community. He set up a company with the factory owner, who was also pleased with John's new plans.
So together, and with the help of the villagers, whose interest in the project was enormous, they made the garden much bigger. The factory, which was now lying empty, was turned into a farming museum and many of the former workers who had been unemployed for over a year were able to come back to the factory and work for the museum or in the garden cafeteria. Today the garden, whose total land area is nearly ten hectares, attracts tourists from all over the world.
13. ihmiset, jotka asuivat
14. puutarhasta voisi tulla jotain isoa
15. joka ei olisi vain kaunis mutta myös tärkeä
16. se saattaisi tarjota töitä
17. John tunsi samoin
18. Lopulta hän keksi idean
19. hän perusti yhtiön
20. joka oli myös tyytyväinen uusiin suunnitelmiin
21. kyläläisten avulla
22. muutettiin maatalousmuseoksi
23. jotka olivat olleet työttömiä yli vuoden
24. vetää turisteja ympäri maailmaa
Muista! Relatiivipronomineja ovat WHO, WHICH, WHOSE, THAT JA WHAT (merkityksessä se mitä)